Buying Authentic Bags Online Doesn’t Need to Be Risky Business If You Do Your Homework
By Diana Ennen
High fashion makes you look and feel like a million bucks. But often the price tag is too hefty for today’s economy. Fortunately, with the right knowledge and experience, you don’t have to spend big to look great. Even when purchasing online, you can take steps to purchase designer fashions that are authentic and top of the line. Just do your homework and research as much as possible before you make your purchase. Develop relationships with shops that carry your favorite bags and a personal connection with the shop owner. Stop back often and get on their email lists so you keep in touch. Once they know your style, they are more likely to keep you in mind when they add to their collections or offer discounts.
By knowing the signs to look for in purchasing vintage bags online, you also feel more confident that your purchases are authentic. For example, with Chanel, their classic look is hard to miss with their signature interlocking letter Cs, their exquisite stitchery and hardware, and the quality look and feel of the bags.
Here are some additional tips to help you secure the perfect designer bag
· Do as much research on the handbag you want to purchase as you can. Personally visit high-end stores so you can see the handbag and become familiar with its features. That enables you to easily catch flaws that shout knockoff to an informed buyer.
· Look for design consistency. For example, all Chanel bags have signature styles that goes far beyond their trademark C’s. The font used is very specific and is rarely changed on Chanel Bags. Look closely at the fonts on bags you see in the stores and check to see if they match.
· The bag and stamp will always match the hardware. When a bag has gold hardware the Chanel stamp and bag will always be gold. If it’s silver, they will be silver, and so forth.
· You can also spot obvious design flaws. Check the logo and pay attention to spelling mistakes. Check that the lining and stitching match and also look for uneven stitching. Chanel originals are always very neatly stitched.
· Examine the bag’s zippers. New bags come with Lampo zippers. One side should be engraved "Chanel" and the other should have the Chanel logo. The pull of the zipper should match the rest of the bag and its hardware.
· Chanel bags come with authenticy cards, serial numbers, and dust bags. You can even check for authenticy with these by knowing what to look for on your bag. For example, the price tags are on white cards. If it is new with a tag, the price tag should be white with Chanel written in black. Fake bags have black price tags.
· The authenticity card is black with a gold rim and white writing. The gold on the card should have NO rainbow hue to it.
· Also, check to make sure the serial numbers match the cards and bag. When shopping online, most shops will let you know whether the card is included. Don’t dismiss a bag simply because it doesn’t have the card included. Not all bags are sold in the resale market with the card, as owners may have misplaced them. However, this in no way devalues a bag. The same goes for sleeper bags. While it is nice to have them, you are really purchasing the bag. Often times you can get a reduced rate on these bags. Just make sure the other features signify an authentic bag.
· In the description take notes of things such as bright shiny colors. Authentic bags will have soft leather or suede. Fakes tend to look and feel more like plastic.
When shopping online and adding to your collection, frequent stores that not only carry your favorite designer bags and shoes, but specialize in them as well. For example, Chanel is by far one of the most recognized handbags today. If you favor Chanel bags and shoes, then shop at stores that carry these fashions as their main products. By specializing in one or two fashions, the shop owners are more than likely to be experts in those fashion lines and will not only be able to offer the finest and latest styles, but carry a full line of accessories to match.
Here are a few more tips to make your online shopping more successful:
· Look for websites that have clear photos of the designer bags and shoes. Check for serial numbers, date codes, etc.
· Pay special attention to how the products are listed. You can get a true feel for a shop owner when you see honesty in their listings.
· Quality sites allow you to contact the owner easily. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or get more information on the fashions you want. Shop owners are normally very receptive to this as they too want you to find the perfect bag that meets your individual taste.
· Make sure the website you purchase from has a return policy and check exactly what that return policy includes. Pay with Paypal or a credit card for added protection.
· Get active online and join purse forums and other sites that provide fashion information.
Fortunately, today you can get great deals on the Internet. Whether it is last season’s styles for a few hundred less or a pre-owned bag in pristine condition, for sometimes a few thousand off, online shopping saves time and money.
It’s just critical to shop at quality shops known for their high standards. One such shop is Chanel & More located at the shops of Malleries. Stop by today to see what a difference quality makes.